Evergreen Park History - 1952-1969
In 1952, the first Fair Queen, Patricia Patrick (now Pat Olsen) was crowned. Pat recalls “everything was regal - red carpet, cape and crown. Flag bearers with horses in front, a royal coach...and a $100 prize!”
In 1960, a new exhibit building, Centennial Hall, was constructed, followed by a livestock barn in 1968. Frontier Days and mascot Frontier Freddie were introduced in 1966. Racing had been around since the very early days - after all, if there were horses and men there would likely be racing. In 1964, starting gates were constructed on the race track, built entirely by volunteers from donated materials. The spring loaded gates ensured a fair and proper start to the races.
In 1968, the Ag Society received permission from the Alberta Racing Commission to have pari-mutuel racing for the three days of the fair. This instantly created a participation factor and horse racing became a big industry in the Peace River Country.
After a 30 year absence, standardbreds retuned to the race program in 1969. Flat races, barrel racing and pony chariots rounded out the fair program.