Evergreen Park History - 1912-1914
The Province of Alberta issued the original certificate of organization to the Grande Prairie Regional Agricultural and Exhibition Society on January 1, 1912. Exhibits were moved to the Agricultural Grounds. The minutes of the second meeting of the newly formed Council of Rural Municipality of Grande Prairie #739, held March 16, 1913 read:
On September 16, 1913, there was a motion that “Mr. Douglas be appointed to superintend laying out of a race track, baseball diamond and erection of an agricultural building. Work to commence at once.” According to the records, by fair time the following year, the building was already considered too small, and the familiar phrase was heard: “next year we will have to have more room.”
In conjunction with the fairs, athletic events for children and men were held, such as 100-yard dash, running broad jump, pole vaulting, standing high jump, 440 yard and 1 mile races, put-shot and relays.
Exhibits included horses, cattle, swine, grains and grasses (including a collection of native grasses), and among the roots and vegetables were citron and sunflowers. Home cooking included the usual breads, cakes and pastries, but also soap, raspberry vinegar and bachelor’s bannock. Art, school work and needle work were also shown.