Evergreen Park History - 1919-1951
The minutes were destroyed by fire in 1919. In 1920, the Agricultural Society purchased a quarter of land from A. Carveth, NE 1/4 - 25 - 71 - 6 W6. The 1922 Grande Prairie Fall Fair was bigger and better than ever in spite of WWI aftermath and hard times in the district. Wireless telephony was brand new and the headlines read: “Attend the Fair and hear free radio concert both nights in the Odd Fellows Hall at 9.”
In 1928, the quarter was transferred back to Arthur Carveth in exchange for the mortgage and the fair was held annually until 1931.
According to the August 4, 1932 edition of the Northern Tribune, “at a meeting of the Agricultural Society held in the town hall, it was decided to drop the fair for this year and get behind the school fair.” School fairs continued through the 1930s and 1940s.
In 1941, the widow of Arthur Carveth transferred the property (NE 1/4 - 25 - 71 - 6 W6) to the Municipal District of Bear Lake No. 740, which would later become part of the County of Grande Prairie.
It was Frank Donald, hotelman and horse breeder, who attempted in 1943 to breathe life back into the Exhibition Fair Grounds.
“Frank Donald has taken a three year lease on the Grande Prairie Exhibition Grounds from the Bear Lake Municipality,” the Herald Tribune announced in its Nov. 4, 1943 issue. “Discussing his venture, Frank said he will grade the race track this fall and put finishing touches on next spring.” He further stated that he proposed to hold a big stampede each year and stage a horse meet in the spring and fall for runners and harness horses.
The First County Fair drew a record breaking crowd of 10,000 for the two day 1951 show.
According to the Tribune, “stockmen with show cattle and horses to exhibit, grain growers with championship sheaves and seed to display, homemakers with needle work and cookery, flower lovers and amateur artists with reasonably good canvases to show, were enthusiastic.”